Connect, Support, Empower
Connect, Support, Empower
Our amazing and diverse team of regulars and part-time volunteers are committed to helping migrant children and children from diverse backgrounds to become connected, supported and empowered to succeed as much as they can in the communities. We work with school-aged children and youth to develop their potentials, break barriers and empower them to access opportunities and become connected in the communities through a range of programs.
We provide a range of programs aimed to support the migrant children and other children from culturally diverse backgrounds and their families including the Homestudy Groups, free online legal clinics as well as settlement support and crisis support programs.
We also hold regular events such as Children Food Art Challenge, Kids run a Stall, bike riding and Chess and Board Games sessions. At Newbridge, we want to provide programs that enhance the health, wellbeing and community connectedness of migrant children, youth and their families and deliver these programs in a safe and encouraging learning environment.
In June 2019, we have received donation of a number of children bicycles so children are also learning how to ride bicycles safely.
Please contact us at email@example.com for further information on our programs.
We help migrant children and their families who would benefit from extra help with free homework tutoring who may not be able to afford tutoring otherwise and require additional help because of certain learning barriers. Our homework club program tutors students from kindergarden to year 9 (English and Maths). We also run a range of special activities designed to connect students with local communities.
For our Crisis Support Program, we help migrants who are going through a period of health or personal crisis to help them to get back on track. This includes transportation, grocery and medical support.
If you would like to register for the programs and join our mailing list please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Due to Corona Virus pandemic, we have moved some programs online and have also implemented the following emergency programs to assist affected families:
Students are also encouraged to use the following online learning resources:
1. Khan's academy which provides personalised online learning with online videos, progress tracked and practice questions: https://www.khanacademy.org/
2. Epic is an online reading and learning platform with access to books and videos for children aged 12 and under. It is subscription based - please contact us at email@example.com for login details. Alternatively your school may also provide free login for students. https://www.getepic.com/sign-in
3. Online e-tutor Project provides one on one free online tutoring to support students online learning during pandemic: https://etutorsproject.org/
4. Dogo News has news articles on current events, sports, science and technology and more. https://www.dogonews.com/
5. For maths problem solving questions, photo maths is a fantastic website where students can scan the maths problems and receive help with answers: https://photomath.com/en/
We are here to help during this challenging time - if you need any assistance please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Covid 19 information:
National Coronavirus Helpline
Call this line if you are seeking information on coronavirus (COVID-19) or help with the COVIDSafe app. The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
1800 020 080
Jobkeeper and Jobseeker information:
For Jobkeeper and Jobseeker information, please contact ATO 13 28 65.
2021 Art Program
We believe art can improve the well-being of all children and develop their confidence - we are working with an art school to provide students with drawing and painting classes in second half 2021. Please register your interest with us at email@example.com.
Food Art Challenge
Would you like to build a Mr Potato man and mushmellow teeth and bake some dinosaur and giraffe cookie? We host Food Art Challenges at our Homework Clubs now at regular intervals. Please register your interest at firstname.lastname@example.org. These sessions will run at our Homework Group sessions after the homework session. Children and parents are welcome to stay for pizza or whatever food art that the children have created.
Activities to enjoy during lockdown
Wednesday 25th August
The Royal Children's Hospital is livestreaming a free event on 'How to Support your Child's Mental Health through the Pandemic' on FaceBook from 12.30-1.30 p.m on 25 August 2021. This will be hosted by paediatrician Dr Anthea Rhodes and presenters include:
- Dr Ric Haslam (Director, Mental Health)
- Prof Harriet Hiscock (Paediatrician)
- Dr Alice Morgan (Clinical Psychologist)
CodeSpark Academy has a list of great activities to try:
1. Journaling - Encouraging your child to start journaling is a great way to get them into the habit of reflecting on the things they’ve learned and the memories they’ve made at school and during lockdown.
2. Review Vocab with Flash Cards - Help your child to review key vocabulary words for their grade level. They won’t only go into the new year with an impressive vocabulary list, they’ll also feel super confident whenever they encounter these words throughout the school year.
3. Brush Up on Key Math Concepts - Reviewing math concepts your child learned in the previous grade will help make them feel ready to learn more advanced concepts in the upcoming year. Here are a few fun activities you can try to help your child brush up on their math skills:
Great Ocean Road Chocolate & Ice Creamery Factory visit - 14 April 2021
After months in lockdown at Melbourne, we had an excursion to the Great Ocean Road Chocolate & Ice Creamery Factory in Anglesea. It was great to see lots of kids joining to play and enjoy the playgrounds and visit the iconic cafe on Great Ocean Road. Chocolate always bring smiles to children! If you are interested in joining us for future excursions please register your interest using the button below.
Melbourne Marathon - 13 October 2019
On 13 October 2019, we participated in the Melbourne Marathon. If you would like to join us at the Melbourne Marathon in 2020, please register with Melbourne Marathon as a part of Newbridge Victoria Group. http://melbournemarathon.com.au/ Please contact us at email@example.com
Webinar - Renting a house or sharing accommodation in Melbourne
On 9 April 2019, we hosted an online legal webinar on "Renting a house or sharing accommodation in Melbourne? Tips to help you navigate through this". If you would like to access the webinar, please register at the button below and we will send you links to the webinar held on 9 April 2019.
Kids run a stall
On 14 April 2019 and 22 September 2019, we held "Kids run a stall" at the Camberwell Sunday Market - some of the volunteers and kids ran a stall at the market and raised some funds for Newbridge. The events have been a great success and the kids all had a great time and become more involved with the communities. For future events, please register your interest at the button below.
Webinar - Key Tax Issues for Migrants - 12 July 2019
On 12 July 2019, we hosted an online webinar in conjunction with Tax Store Brunswick to cover some of the key tax issues for new migrants. You will learn about what it means being an Australian tax resident, how to apply for a Tax File Number with the Australian Taxation Office, how your income will be taxed in Australia and some tips on preparing your tax returns. If you are interested in viewing this webinar please email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kids Snowfun Day 2019
We had a Kids Snowfun day on 20 July and 21 July 2019 at Mount Buller! The children enjoyed tobogganning and play in the snow! A big thank you to those that have helped the carpooling. If you are interested in future Snow Fun Day please register your interest with email@example.com.
We are looking for volunteers to assist with project management of our programs as well as administration and accounting support If you are interested in volunteering with us please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your support and contributions will enable us to meet our goals and improve conditions. Your generous donation will fund our mission.
Acknowledgment to Country
We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land.
We pay our respects to all Elders past, present and future
We express our gratitude to them as traditional custodians of the land in which we live
We value our children as the future leaders and custodians
Copyright © 2019 Newbridge Victoria Inc. - All Rights Reserved.